9.30.2013

Back to Braids

I made a rash decision about 3 weeks ago to get my hair braided again. I relaxed at the end of August and planned to start exercising again, 2 weeks after my relaxer. Well I stuck to the plan and after one week decided that I didn't have it in me to go back into my wig, which is my normal routine when exercising.

I wore my hair in a braid and curl, which always started out cute, but would look a bit wild and crazy by the end of the week after exercising for 6 days and sweating heavily. After the first week of this, I made an appointment to get box braids. The month of October is going to be really crazy for me with traveling, working, and a few other events, so my hair is the LAST thing I want to be bothered with. 

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'm over wearing wigs. That's not to say that I'll never wear one again, but I think taking the 3 month break over the summer to actually enjoy my hair made me not want to "hide" my hair again. This has created quite the dilemma because I probably won't get braids again after this (side note: just when I was about to get my braids done, I decided I am too old to have braids and will not be getting them done anymore), but I don't want to wear a wig. What will my protective style be?

Fortunately I'm planning to keep my braids for 8 weeks, so I have some time to devise a plan. I believe I'll go back to wearing a wig, but it sure has been nice not to wear one.

Aside from buns, what other protective styles do you guys wear? I'm all about keeping my ends hidden.

4 comments:

  1. I get it...I'm riding this wig/weave train for as long as I feel like it, but I'm sure that when I'm done, I'll be so over it. I'm just determined to get past my current length plateau so I'm gonna PS for as long as it takes but I completely get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sooo real @ECP! I'm rooting for you from the sideline and know that you will get to your goal soon. I thought about getting a weave, but I would probably still have some hair left out and that would puff up and look crazy after 1 workout, SMH. Thanks for commiserating with me, lol. HHJ!

      Delete
  2. I challenged myself to come up with 30 days of protective styles a few months ago. Since then, I've been a protective styling monster. I rarely wear my hair out and when I do, its not for long. Ha-ha! Here were my top 3 faves from The Bun Effect

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good idea @KLP and I'm sure it forced you to create some nice go-to styles for everyday where! Thanks for sharing your fave, I'll check them out! HHG

      Delete