1.21.2012

The Moisture Saga Continues

The greatest takeaway that I got from unbraiding my hair last week is that it is dry. Since learning this, I have stepped up my mission to figure out what my hair likes. This is especially important because although wigs are a great protective style, they can easily zap all of the moisture out of your hair, so you must take special care to ensure that the moisture remains!

It's been a heck of a week of trial and error because I have been trying different combinations of moisturizers to see if I can hit the spot. I decided to try a moisturizing technique posted by EbonyCPrincess of Longing 4 Length. The technique involves applying a liquid moisturizer, followed by a creamy moisturizer, and sealing with an oil. I have been using my Phyto Hydrating Mist leave-in conditioner, which I LOVE, as my liquid moisturizer, followed by Amla & Olive Heavy Cream, and sealing with grapeseed oil.

Well this week I came to grips with the fact that I really like grapeseed oil, but my hair doesn't love it, at all. It just sits on my hair. Prime example - one night I followed the triple moisture technique, using the grapeseed oil to seal. I used a VERY generous amount because my hair ALWAYS feels dry. I slept with a plastic cap because I didn't want to ruin my linen. When I removed the cap the next day, the oil was just dripping off of my hair and there was literally a puddle at the bottom of the cap. I definitely know I went heavy on the oil, but based on the amount that was still in the cap, that confirmed for me that my hair didn't really absorb any of it. Long story short, I think I have to add grapeseed oil to the same category as EVOO (click for my earlier experience).

So what I learned this week is I like the idea of layering the moisturizers, but I need to get a cheaper liquid leave-in because the Phyto Mist is pricey considering the amount that I use on a daily basis, and I need to return to my beloved EVCO. This is the only oil that my hair seems to love. I did some research on LHCF to see how some of the ladies are handling moisture issues and found that the LOC method is popular (it's the same as the one EbonyCPrincess posted, but the order of the oil and creamy moisturizer are switched). I will try the LOC method and see which one I like best.

I also searched for a good liquid leave in moisturizer. I narrowed it down to Carol's Daughter Tui Leave In Conditioner and Paul Mitchell Awapui Moisture Mist. I went to Beans Beauty and asked the salesman his opinion on what would be a good product that's similar to the Phyto Mist, but cheaper (this guy has been selling hair products at this store for at least 10 years - no bull). I mentioned the Paul Mitchell, but he suggested Mastey Leave-In Moisturizer. I am not familiar with Mastey, but he mentioned that this was a lightweight, moisturizing leave in that would do the same as the Paul Mitchell, but without the preservatives, wax, and potential for build-up. I'm excited to try it and let you know what I think.

Sorry for the long post, but that's where I am on my quest for maximum moisture! Let me know if you are familiar with Mastey and your thoughts!


4 comments:

  1. YAYYYY I'm so glad that post helped you girl! I love hair products with the word "mist" in the title...its definitely a marketing ploy that works on me. So I vote for the Paul Mitchell!

    Gurrrrrrl, my hair & grapeseed oil aren't friends either. I love it on my skin (body not face) in the place of lotion though. really locks in moisture and helps fade and prevent stretch marks. thank goodness I found a good use for it because it was NOT the business for my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ECP!!! I couldn't agree with you more - I'm completely sold on anything that has the word "mist" in it too...lol! And I do find that mists typically coat my hair just right....or maybe it's psychological at this point :-)

      So glad to hear that I'm not the only one whose hair doesn't agree with grapeseed oil. Thanks for noting how you use it - maybe I'll use it on my skin as well because I certainly have quite a bit left that I don't want to just throw away.

      Delete
  2. I do hope that you find a moisturizer that works for you. I have yet to use a liquid moisturizer or leave in. I may try it if what I'm using now does not work. HHG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blutiful Blaq! I actually really like using a liquid moisturizer because I find that it's a bit more moisturizing for my hair than the creamy moisturizer. But I'm still learning and experimenting. HHG to you as well!

      Delete